Friday, September 4, 2009

Rice Krispie Ice Cream Cones

I love to put a special treat inside my kids lunch boxes. I was going to make plain ol' rice krispie treats but then I got brainstorming. My kids love ice cream (not very portable for your backpack) so I came up with this:

Rice Krispie ice cream cones! Aren't they fun?!

To make these you need to make half a batch of rice krispies using regular rice krispies and then half a batch using cocoa rice krispies. Here's Kellogg's recipe. You do the math:


Kellogg's Rice Krispies Recipe

* 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
* 1 package (10 oz., about 40) regular marshmallows
* - OR -
* 4 cups miniature marshmallows
* 6 cups Rice Krispies®


1. In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
2. Add KELLOGG'S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
3. Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 13 x 9 x 2-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool. Cut into 2-inch squares. Best if served the same day.



You can put them into one cake pan. I'm all about using the least amount of dishes!


Once the krispies are cool you can start cutting out ice cream cones.


They would be pretty cute just like this but I wanted to mix the flavors.



I cut the cone off of each ice cream and then stuck them together with opposing colors. The krispies were still pretty sticky so it worked out great.



Now you can decorate them by pressing sprinkles down gently onto the krispies. Don't wait to do this later or they might not stick. You can also heat up some chocolate chips and dip the tops in chocolate. Be creative! Your kids will love to have one of these in their lunch box or as an after school treat. I know mine did!



1 comment:

Melody said...

Cute, cute, cute!!! What a great idea!