Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Eggless Poptarts


I began to scour the Internet for a homemade pop-tart recipe last week. I always feel so bad when Collin eats a pop-tart in front of Carlee. They make their crust with egg or egg wash so she can't eat them. When I came across a website called Bake Me More I knew I found a recipe worth trying. I adapted the recipe a little to make it Carlee friendly and we were in business! The best part of this recipe is that you can adapt it to suit your taste. You are no longer limited to the flavors on the shelves. Plum is my favorite! As an added bonus you can also freeze these and re-heat on a busy morning. (see below)

Homemade Eggless Pop Tarts

Ingredients:

Pie crust, refrigerated or homemade
Jam or Preserves
Colored Sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

If using refrigerated crust unroll one of the pie crusts and square the edges. If using homemade crust like I did, then just do the best you can to roll out a square or roll out a circle and cut into square. Cut into rectangles with pizza cutter. Center 1 tsp of jam in a rectangle and top with another piece of crust. Crimp all four edges with end of fork. Repeat until all of the pie crust is used. I think the edges of the dough would have stayed together better had I moistened the edges with water. I'll have to try that next time! As it was they stayed together pretty great.

Bake the pop-tarts for about 7 – 8 minutes or until slightly brown. Once pop-tarts are cool, spoon on glaze and decorate with colored sugar.


Ingredients for Glaze:

* 1 cup powder sugar
* milk to thin

Place powdered sugar in bowl. Pour milk slowly until it has a consistency of really thick syrup.


Yummy!

To freeze:

Flash freeze. When partially frozen place in a gallon freezer bag for storage. Microwave 1-2 minutes or heat in oven. Do NOT put in toaster if using glaze.







1 comment:

Melody said...

Isn't the internet awesome! You can really find just about anything. These look so good!