- 2 packages active dry or cake yeast
- 1/2 cup warm water (110 to 115 degrees Farenheit)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup shortening or margarine
- 1 1/2 cups prepared Instant Mashed Idaho Potatoes, cold
- 1 T. lemon extract
- 3 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups milk, scalded and cooled to luke warm
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6-8 cups sifted flour
- Boiling water
- 1 lb. powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, set aside.
- Cream sugar and shortening. Beat in cold potatoes, eggs, cooled milk, yeast water, salt and lemon extract. Mix in flour adding just enough to make a soft dough. Knead well.
- Place dough in greased bowl; cover and let rise in warm place until doubled in bulk. Roll out dough to 1/2 inch thickness. Cut with a well-floured cutter. Let rise uncovered about 30 minutes. Deep fry in oil heated to 375 degrees Farenheit. Drain on paper towl.
- To make glaze, gradually add enough boiling water to powdered sugar and vanilla to make thin glaze. Drizzle over doughnuts.